Before You Get Started...
If you are on a new installation of Ubuntu, or if you have trouble completing the steps below, we recommend running the following two commands in Terminal to ensure that your Ubuntu is fully updated:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
After these commands have been executed, please proceed with the steps below:
Setup the PPTP connection
- Expand the connection menu by clicking the up/down arrow icon in the system taskbar. Then, click on Edit Connections to open the Network Connections control panel.
- Click the Add button to add a new VPN configuration.
- When prompted to choose a connection type, choose Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) and click the Create button.
- In the Connection name: textbox, enter "VyprVPN (PPTP)"
- In the Gateway field enter one of the following server hostnames. View the list of server addresses here.
- In the User name: textbox, enter your login.
- In the Password: textbox, enter your password.
- Click the Advanced button to bring up an additional settings dialog.
- Check the Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE) box.
- Click the OK button
- Click the Save button (you may be prompted to enter your password to store the configuration securely)
- Restart Network Manager (The best way we have found to restart Network Manager is to open a terminal and type "sudo restart network-manager". This will disconnect all of your network connections)
Establish a secure connection
- In the system taskbar, click on the up/down arrow icon to bring up the connection menu.
- Mouse over VPN Connections and select VyprVPN (PPTP).
- After a few seconds, you will receive a pop-up notification that the connection has been established.
You can check your IP here: https://www.vyprvpn.com/whatismyipaddress
If you need any further assistance, please contact our 24/7 Customer Success Team, who would be glad to assist.