While we pride ourselves on the stability and availability of our VPN connections, there are some factors that may keep you from being able to connect at times. These factors can affect all VPN providers, and include but are not limited to:
1. Unstable Internet connection.
- A stable Internet connection is needed to maintain a VPN connection. If your Internet connection frequently drops or has a high amount of packet loss, then your ability to connect to VyprVPN and stay connected could be affected in a negative way.
- If you are able to do so, restarting your network equipment can sometimes help with this. You can use the steps below to do this:
- Unplug power from both your modem and router
- Plug power back into your modem first, then wait 30 seconds
- Plug power back into your router, and wait for your devices to reconnect to the Internet
- If you have a modem/router combo, then just unplug power from that device for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in
- If you are connected via mobile data, it can sometimes help to disable mobile data, wait 15 seconds, and enable it once more. This may refresh your mobile data connection, which can help with VPN connections.
2. Restrictive networks that may block the use of VPN protocols, or which may block our server addresses.
- This can be done by Internet service providers as well as public wifi network administrators. When blocked by ISPs, this is frequently a result of government restrictions that are forced on the ISPs.
- Changing the VPN protocol in the VyprVPN application can often help with this. First, select Customize at the bottom left of the app, and from there you can access the Protocols menu.
- We recommend trying all protocols which show in the Protocols menu of the VyprVPN app whenever you are having difficulty connected from a network that is known or suspected to be restrictive.
3. Antivirus or firewall software running on your device.
- While security software can help keep our devices secure, they sometimes have the unfortunate side effect of blocking applications and services which we actually intend to use.
- If you are having connection trouble, you can temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software to determine if that software is the cause of your connection trouble. If you find that VyprVPN is able to connect only if you have your antivirus/firewall disabled, then you'll know that you will need to configure that software so that it will ignore or disregard connections coming from the VyprVPN app.
If you need any further assistance, please contact our 24/7 Customer Success Team, who would be glad to assist.